Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lincoln Rogers Sherwood WW II 1945

Lincoln Rogers Sherwood was the oldest living son of L.P. and Clara Sherwood. Lincoln was born October 26th, 1922, and raised in St.Johns Arizona. He spent most of his time working on the family farm, or helping his dad build a family Home. Lincoln and his younger brother Gleason, learned what hard work was early in life, and grew into strong Arizona farm boys. The strength was both in body and mind, which would help them endure the hardships that were soon to come upon both of them.

Lincoln went to war first as a Thunder Bolt pilot. The Thunder Bolt pilots were considered the elite of the elite. The encylopedia Wikipedia states, "The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, also known as the "Jug," was the biggest, heaviest and most expensive single-engined fighter in history to be powered by a piston engine. [2] It was one of the main United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) fighters of World War II. The P-47 was effective in air combat but proved especially adept at ground attack. It had eight .50-caliber machine guns, four per wing. When fully loaded the P-47 could weigh up to eight tons". It flew 500 miles per hour and could reach altitudes of 25,000 feet.













Younger brother Gleason was offered a hardship deferment to stay home and run the farm, but his brother was over there and it was a noble and just cause, so Gleason followed as an infantry foot soldier. They both were sent to Italy. Lincoln flew 42 missions over Italy before he was shot down behind enemy lines.

Gleason was in some of the most bloody ground fighting in Italy, as they fought their way toward Mussolini’s Chateau. It was in the middle of this bloody fighting that Gleason was informed that his brother Lincoln had made his way back to the safety of the allied side, through the “underground”.

Lincoln was ordered back to the States, this was against his wishes. However, it was not only for his safety that he was to be sent home, but also for the safety of the whole under ground movement, who had made it possible for him to survive behind enemy lines and make it safely back. Eldon Pulsipher of St. Johns entered the service on the same day as Gleason, and was present when Gleason was told of his brothers safe return.

Eldon told me the following," Gleason was in the infantry I was in the heavy artillery, we followed the infantry. That day we went uphill on a narrow road, the Germans had their guns sighted in on the road, and when we started up the hill they opened up. It was a terrible slaughter of our troops. Then when our troops jumped for cover in the bar ditch along the side of the road, it was mined. We took terrible losses, we followed up with the heavy artillery. During a lull in the battle, I was looking for Gleason, I found him sitting on a stump. Head in hands, he couldn't even talk, he was shell shocked or something. It was while I was there that the Red Cross came looking for Gleason Sherwood. I told them that's him sitting there. They wanted to take him back with them to see his brother before they shipped Lincoln home".

Gleason was allowed a pass to spend some time with his brother, this would be there last time together, Gleason returned to the battle and Lincoln went to South Carolina to train more Pilots.


June 12th 1945, Lincoln’s plane went down, ending the two brothers dreams of partnership farm. Gleason made it home and founded Hill Top Dairy in St. Johns.

Eldon feels that this meeting of the two brothers may have saved Gleason’s life because of the terrible fighting that began again shortly after he was taken to see his brother, which may be very true.



Gleason (left)and Lincoln



The following information was obtained from a Carlo Mondani in Italy who is putting together information on fighter pilots shot down in Italy during WWII. Mr Mondani has told me in his communication that he is putting this together out of appreciation for the pilots and their roles in the liberation of Italy.

Mr. Mondani also gave the following data:
Date of enlistment: October 28, 1942
Place of enlistment: Phoenix, Az.
Branch: Air Corps
P-47 fighter pilot with 66th Fighter Squadron, 57th Fighter Group
Serial Number 0-774327
P-47 serial: 44-20140

And the following history in his words: As stated by Missing Air Crew Report #12463, 1st Lt. Lincoln R. Sherwood was shot down SE of Modena (south of the town of Vignola) on 22 February, 1945 during a dive bombing mission. He landed safely by parachute in enemy territory and after some weeks returned to his organization. (page of 66th Fighter Squadron war diary). I suppose he received some help by partisans or Italian farmers. On 22 February, 1945 the front line was located near 30km south. The allied units in that zone were the American 10th Mountain Division (Gen. George P. Hays) and Brazilian 1st Infantry Division.

My posterity and I will be forever thankful to the great sacrifices these two brothers made. We are grateful as well, for this small town St. Johns, which is filled with many unsung Heroes.

May the Good Lord in Heaven bless them and all of us who are the beneficiary of their great sacrifice, in many cases, was the ultimate sacrifice…that of their lives.

6 comments:

Deborah Sherwood said...

Since you had been working on this blog, over Memorial Day Weekend (while you were in Mexico) I went by to visit Lincoln's grave. Aunt Dawn (or at least somebody besides us)had always taken care of the grave, but as her health is not very good now, I thought I would see what was needed. The Sherwood burial plot was clean and nice, but there were not fresh (new) flowers at the graves. There were US flags that the Boy Scouts (I assume) had recently put there.

Stopping by Family Dollar, I picked up some flowers to put on our family veterans' graves.

As I was putting these flowers near the US flag at Granddad, Gleason, and Lincoln's graves, I was contemplating on what their service and Lincoln's consequent death actually meant to me and our family.

Looking at Lincoln's grave the truth of what he REALLY sacrificed hit me.

We all die in some way or another, and to die in the service of one's country (or God) is a very noble way to die, and that had always before been my thoughts and understanding.

But at this time, the truth flooded through my entire body, that what he REALLY sacrificed was HIS POSTERITY.

Aunt Dawn and Jenny Heap and I had just been visiting, and Jenny really didn't know much about Lincoln, or Gleason either for that matter.

Now that his parents are gone, and his siblings are growing elderly and may soon be gone, he really has no one to remember him, to tell stories of him....he is almost a forgotten soul, who had no chance to carry on the family genes.

No wife or children to mourn him, no posterity to live on and know him through the stories they hear.

As his death was such a hurtful event, Pammy and Grandad just didn't talk about it much, and as we go about our everyday lives, we don't think about it very often.

Only thru the questions of outsiders has this story even come about.

Rhonda McCarthy, who manages the Circle K in St. Johns, asked Kim to submit something to her about Lincoln. Since her son was killed in Afganistan, she has been compiling a memorial for the unsung heroes around St. Johns who gave their lives to keep us free.

Just a few weeks ago, Carlo Mondani, a gentleman from Italy contacted our family, requesting pictures and information on Lincoln. He gave us a good part of the material that is included in this story.

How sad that Lincoln's family has waited so long to honor him, may we all be more cognizent of our ancestors and what they have done for us.

The Sherwood Family said...

Thank you for doing this. It is a lot of work and time, but well worth the effort. Even I am asked often about Lincoln and Gleason, I know so little about them, and what I do know, is only the tragic events. There has to be so much more to their lives. Keep sharring. Love ya, Tracy

Sister Penni said...

Dear Kim,
Thank you for recording this important part of your history, and mine.

My memories of my big brother, Lincoln, are few, but sweet. He was a handsome man. He was kind. He had a creative mind which he put to use. He invented a small projector from a metal tennis ball can and a magnifying glass which he managed to fit in the can. He had another can, slightly larger, which fit over the first, so that the length could be adjusted. Through it, with a light inside, he could project pictures on a wall. We had no screen. He told me that if I wouldn't tell anybody, the he would tell me a secret. I said I wouldn't tell.
He had an idea that he could make a fire outside and put on some green leaves so that it would make a lot of smoke. Then, from a hidden spot, he would project s scary picture, such as a vampire through the small projector and use the smoke as a screen. The people watching would be frightened.

I thought that was such a great idea, that I simply forgot my promise not to tell. I told my neighborhood friend, Tommy Lee about it. Then he talked to Lincoln about the idea. Lincoln was disappointed that I had told, but he didn't scold or get angry. He never mentioned my mistake again. He was like that.
Once when I wanted to go with him to irrigate at a rental property on the south of town, he said no. I was pretty smart, I thought, to just go sit in the car, thinking that he would change his mind. He didn't say anything to me. He simply shouldered his shovel and walked the two miles or so to the field where he did the irrigating. He never mentioned it and I was too dumb to apologize, but I never forgot his gentle lesson.

Aunt Nin said...

Dear Kim,
I told you that I didn't understand the computer. That last comment was from me, not Penni. She helped me set things up when I wanted to comment once before. Obviously, I didn't press the right buttons.
I love your writing! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your sherwoodsails.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend George

Cynthia West said...

Hi My Name is Cynthia Rogers West Granddaughter of Grant and Iris Rogers. I have been trying to find more information on Lincoln Rogers Sherwood. Is he buried in AZ? I would like to take my children to his grave. Any info would be amazing, thank you!